Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Dreaming of Dolls

We had grand plans that after visiting Lincoln Park Zoo that we would wander downtown and do some exploring.  We wanted to go to the observatory at the top of the John Hancock Building but it started to get foggy and they said that the visibility was down to only 4 miles.  I don't really know how far that is but since you can normally see for 80 miles I figured that is wasn't very far.

Initially I was disappointed that we didn't get to go to the observatory but I soon cheered up when I stumbled across this place - American Girl Place!  It was a ginormous shop full of dolls and doll stuff.  I spent ages wandering around trying to pick out my favourite doll.  There were dolls from all different times in America's history.  My favourites were Kit and Julie, mainly because they looked a little bit like me.


This one is Julie, she is from the 1970s.  I really like her, her hair was just like mine before I had it cut and her bedroom is decorated the way I want to decorate mine.  If only she had blue eyes like me we could be sisters!

As much as I loved Julie, I ended up buying (with my own money!) a miniature Kit doll because she look most like I do now.  She is from the Great Depression in the 1930s when there wasn't much money for special things like gorgeous dolls or huge holidays.

There were other girls there with dolls that looked like them, but they weren't the dolls from history, they were dolls made to look like them, they even had matching outfits.  It was kind of creepy, a little bit crazy but at the same time very very cool.  Some of the girls were wearing heaps of makeup and were having their photos taken in a special studio and their photos published on a magazine cover.  I don't think I would go that far but even if I do think it is crazy, I would really love my very own American Girl doll!

I wonder if Santa can get presents from America?
Love Princess George

PS - Santa, if you are reading this, I really have been a good girl :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please show that you were here and leave some comment love!